Email Me
JesseThis is a hyperlinked picture, contained in a paragraph
Skype Me

Skype Name: jesseweber
These are all the ways to get in touch with me.
You can also call or text me:

(404) 939-2579
Follow me on Twitter
Become my Friend

Monday, October 12, 2009

...porque es Sevilla

[Pics have nothing to do with the post]
Fabiano helping the Real Madrid goalkeeper after Fabiano took him out


It’s been very difficult to get a hold on what I actually do at night and how it happens. I rarely have a plan after dinner, but it seems like every night I have found something to do. It always starts the same way. I eat dinner at 8:30 and around 9:15 I leave the house to walk around for an hour. Once a week I will grab an ice cream on the way out of the neighborhood.

To show you how random my nights are I will give you examples of a few nights this week. On Tuesday I wandered into Macarena which is a barrio (neighborhood) about 15 minutes away. I found this bar, Caferia, a couple weeks ago where the bartender, Carmen, is not only cute but she doesn’t speak English. So, in order for us to communicate I have to speak Spanish to her. I think she enjoys correcting and laughing at my bad grammar. I was in there for about a half hour and I left to go home. On the way I heard this American and I was laughing at what she was saying to her non-American friends. Not knowing that I knew English she asked, “What are you smiling at?” I found out she was from Texas and is an au pair here. Her friends are also au pairs and I walked them back to their barrio asking them about their jobs. On the way back I ran into classmates and I sat with them at a restaurant for awhile. Before I know it I wasn't walking home until 2:30.

Part of The Cathedral


The next night, Wednesday, started out a little earlier, but I still went into it without any type of plan. I met Carmen for coffee before dinner. She wants to learn English and I obviously I am trying to learn Spanish so when we meet for coffee she only speaks English and I only speak Spanish. It takes awhile to have a conversation, but all I have is time anyway. After coffee we walk over to her friend Margo’s store. It turns out it is Margo’s birthday and she was nice enough to invite me to a little party that night that started at 10:00.

I went home to eat dinner and then met Carmen at Caferia at 12:30 when she was closing the bar. We walked to the party which was on the roof of an apartment building. There were about 20 Spaniards, Italians, and even another American. We drank fresh mojitos and ate a homemade Italian cake. It was a lot of fun, but again I found myself out well past 2:00.

Plaza de España


This is what happens almost every night and I love it. The best part is that Spanish is spoken most of the time so I get to work on what I am studying. When people ask me why this happens I have come to one standard answer...porque es Sevilla (because it's Sevilla).

No comments:

Post a Comment